When it comes to self-defense, there are a lot of choices out there. It can be difficult to know where to start or how to go about learning something new – especially if you have never even done any form of martial arts before.
In this post I would like to look at five simple techniques that everyone should learn and practice because they’re easy to learn, easy to practice, and extremely effective.
Introduction to Self-Defense
Self-defense can be defined as any measure used by someone to defend themselves, their loved ones, or their property from the physical attack or threat of an assault. This includes both verbal defense and physical self-defense techniques.
The best thing you can do is to have an awareness of your surroundings. If you are ever in a situation where you feel uncomfortable, leave the area immediately.
The next thing to remember is that if someone comes up to you while your hands are full, try to put your keys or phone away so they can’t take them from you. You should also have an idea about what self-defensive weapon you are carrying with you at all times, even if it’s just pepper spray.
You’ll also need to learn the most vulnerable parts of the body so that you can immobilize your opponent easily.
The 3 Levels of Self-Defense
There are three levels of self-defense. The first level is awareness, which includes looking for potential threats and unsafe situations. The second level is prevention, which includes defending yourself verbally or physically if necessary. The final level is reaction, which includes attacking your attacker if they enter your personal space.
5 Self-Defense Techniques That Everyone Should Learn
Self-defense techniques are something that we should all know. If a person is being attacked by another person, they need to know how to defend themselves. There are many different self-defense techniques that you can learn. Some of these self defense techniques include:
1) Kicking the attacker in the groin area. This is one of the most effective self defense techniques that you can use if you are being attacked and need to protect yourself. It is a very painful area for a man, so it will definitely deter him from attacking you further and allow you to get away safely.
2) Punching him in the nose with your fist or even with your elbow. This is another good way to deter an attacker from continuing his attack on you and will help you get away safely if he still attacks after this technique has been used against him. If he continues his attack after this has been used on him, then it is time for more serious self-defense techniques.
3) Neck Lock Hold. Another important self-defense technique is the Neck Lock Hold . This is one of the most effective ways to defend yourself from an attacker because it puts pressure on his neck, which causes pain and can make him unconscious for a bit. If done correctly, this technique can incapacitate an attacker for up to three minutes.
All you need to do is to hold your attacker’s neck between your hands and squeeze. You can also use the knuckles of your thumbs to apply more pressure. When holding his neck, make sure that you are behind him and that he cannot see your face or arms. This will give you the advantage of surprise, which will help you immobilize him for a few minutes.
4) Groin Strike: Another self-defense technique that everyone should learn is the Knee Strike . This involves striking your opponent in the groin area with your knee. But this attack should be used only as a last resort because it can cause serious damage. However, if you’re in a situation where you have no other choice, then this is the best way to defend yourself from an attacker.
5) Arm Bar: Another self-defense technique is the Arm Bar . This technique works by trapping one of his arms between yours and then twisting it in an awkward position until it hurts. The key in this technique is to twist hard enough so that he can no longer move but not too hard so that it causes him pain.
Self defense as we all know is a skill that everyone should have knowledge of but sadly the reality is, very few of us actually do.
There are many aspects to self defense and it all begins with having an understanding of your surroundings and being able to anticipate what may happen and to take preventative action before it occurs.
Self defense can be summed up as the age old saying of ‘fight or flight’. The trick is to know what to do when. Certain situations will be predictable while others can be far more random but the ability to think clearly in these situations is the difference between having a good chance of getting out of the situation and getting dragged into a scenario where fight is the only option.
Our natural human instinct is self preservation and the preservation of loved ones but sometimes the situation puts us at a distinct disadvantage. This is exactly why the study of self defense is essential in modern times. Gone are the days where there was some honour in a bar fight being between 2 guys who would beat each other up and then share a beer afterwards.
We now have the increasing levels of crime, bullying, gangs, drug addiction which leads to more crime and the frightening fact that many people including kids are now carrying weapons. We should not have to live in fear but we should be alert to potential dangers.
Crossing the street is dangerous but we do not fear it because we have learnt how to do it safely. Self defence techniques should be in our muscle memory and should come just as naturally as any other learned behaviour.
The point is we should be able to avoid situations by being able to read our surroundings. If a situation is boiling up we should know how to defuse it before it becomes a problem and only if it is unavoidable and there is no escape, should we use our self defense to disarm or disable our attackers so that we can make our escape.
These are the life skills that should be taught at schools but sadly are not. The rules have changed to the point where there are no longer any rules. Self defense should be something that we all stop putting off learning about and there are many ways to do this.
One can attend a self defense classes, learn a practical martial art or even do an online course which is becoming increasingly popular and we shall review some of these self defense courses on this site over time.
There are many self defense techniques that can be learned and we shall learn about these over the pages of this site. We will be looking at self defense, martial arts as well as mixed martial arts. Please feel free to browse this site and to leave any comments regarding self defense on the appropriate pages.